Hot sessions at ONA12: a peek into the program
Thinking of attending ONA12 at the San Francisco Hyatt, Sept. 20-22? Now’s the time to register. Registration is almost sold out and the cost goes up Aug. 1. Register now. If you’re looking for motivation, check out the jam-packed program.
Here are three great sessions that might pique your interest:
- 10 Tech Trends for 2012 Amy Webb, CEO of Webbmedia Group, returns to ONA12 to highlight what the trends are, why they matter, and show recent use cases. This session was standing room only last year. You don’t want to miss this.
- Blow Up the Funny Pages: Why Comics Make for Powerful Journalism Join Dan Archer, journalist, Erin Polgreen, founder of Symbolia Magazine, Susie Cagle, graphic journalist, and Wendy McNaughton, artist, for a look at the opportunities presented by illustrated journalism, including increased audience engagement, dynamic multimedia storytelling, and increased pageviews for news sites.
- Design is How It Works Dave Wright, lead interactive designer at NPR, knows that newsrooms are always strapped for time. He’ll show ways to use design thinking to create beautiful and effective products, even on deadline.
The Midway: Explore, engage, be entertained
Come explore the ONA12 Midway, an exposition of innovation, new this year. See cutting-edge projects from journalism startups, test out new tools and give input on the latest technology. Looking for a space to recharge? We’ll have plenty of ways for you to take a break.
Find your dream job
If you’re changing jobs or looking to find a new opportunity, the ONA12 Job Fair on Thursday, Sept. 20, from 1-4 p.m. will introduce you to recruiters from a range of media companies. Get amazing advice on how to stand out from the crowd at the Career Summit, with sessions from established digital pioneers Jenny 8 Lee, Kate Gardiner, Michelle Minkoff, and more. See the full schedule for the Career Summit & Job Fair and register here. Both are free to our student members, $25 for ONA members, and $50 for non-members.
Join us Thursday, Sept. 20, for hands-on workshops before the full conference. ONA members get a discount on all workshops. Here’s a small sample of what we’re offering. See all of the ONA12 Thursday workshops.
- Get free and easy tools for creating election coverage from Jesse Friedman, Google.
- Learn how to tell stories with maps and charts in the Basics of Data Viz from John Keefe, WNYC
- Start programming and learn one of the most desirable skills for journalists today.
Looking for a room?
Unfortunately, the conference hotel has already sold out. We’ve pulled together a huge list of hotels throughout San Francisco, at a variety of price points. If you’re up for something different, word is that Airbnb has good deals right now on spaces downtown.