We’ve just about finalized programming for the 2012 Online News Association Conference, adding new sessions and more experts to our already full roster. Learn from some of the most innovative journalists and technologists pushing the boundaries of our field during three days of workshops and sessions, September 20-22, at the San Francisco Hyatt Regency. Fewer than 100 spots remain — we expect to sell out soon — so register now.
New sessions added
Journey to the Business Side
With the massive economic shifts of recent years, even editorial folks have come to understand how tightly their fortunes are tied to the business side. Join Justin Ellis, Assistant Editor, Nieman Lab, and Matt Thompson, Manager of Digital Initiatives, NPR, for a crash course in the economics behind producing the news, complete with a mini-seminar on MBA-speak.
The Votes Are In: Winning Election Night Coverage
Nov. 6 will have it all: intense public interest, nerd-heaven analysis, high drama — and a fire hose full of data. Learn how to best synthesize, translate and present local, state and national results to tell the full story, all on the tightest of deadlines, and which tools can help you do it. Dive into the data with Burt Herman, Co-Founder, Storify; Olivia Ma, News Manager, YouTube, and David Chalian, Washington Bureau Chief, Yahoo!.
Decision 2013: The Lightning Round
What are the top critical issues facing digital journalists? We’ll crowd-source your thoughts and challenge leaders in our industry – and candidates for the 2013 Online News Association Board of Directors – to share their reactions in three minutes or less, followed by your Q&A.
Anatomy of a New Journalist
Twenty-First Century journalists are evolving into true hyphenates: reporter-mixed media-data cruncher-developer. Hear from three stars under 30 — the MJ Bear Fellows — and six budding journalists — the AP-Google Journalism & Technology Scholars — on how they fit into the future (and present) of the industry.
More speakers announced
Here’s the latest crop of presenters who will join us at ONA12:
- Monika Bauerlein, Co-Editor, Mother Jones
- Kwan Booth, Co-Founder, Senior Community Manager, Oakland Local
- Farai Chideya, Multimedia Journalist
- Adriano Farano, CEO, Watchup
- Dan Gillmor, Director, Knight Center for Digital Media Entrepreneurship at Arizona State University’s Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication
- Gabe Goodwin, TV & Digital Producer, Sports Nation & First Take, ESPN
- Ben Kreimer, Drone Journalism Lab Researcher
- Mike Orren, President, Speakeasy
- Elizabeth Osder, Principal, Osder Group
- Chris Seper, CEO, MedCity Media
- Matt Waite, Journalism Professor, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
The number of side parties springing up around the conference grows every year and there are a slew in the works that we'll announce shortly. If you’re organizing an off-hours affiliated party, meet-up or event in SF around ONA12, let us know at on Twitter using the hashtag #ONA12 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll help get the word out.